Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

First animation of 2014 starts out with a boob, I mean a Bang!

This movie took much longer than it should have to make. I originally planned on it taking one week but that wasn't possible. Christmas, New Years, and I caught a cold (which hindered the voice acting process). Anyways, onto some production details.

The movie was originally about anime and fan service. It was going to take place in an anime studio. Because I just released a short unsuccessful anime parody the week prior I decided to steer away from the anime theme.

I composed the first piece of music we hear while the rest of the music is public domain John Philip Souza. I composed two other pieces but neither of them sounded as good as the Souza march.

There was one joke I wrote but didn't put in the movie. During the last chaotic scene where all the businessmen are going nuts I wanted the camera to cut to a somebody in the back of the room saying they weren't impressed.

The girl that is being presented in the movie is the main character from Your Bones. There isn't any real meaning there, I just thought it'd be cool to have that reference. That's not the only reference in the movie.

The girl being presented!



Original storyboard for the presentation shot.

Final version.

A funny face in the storyboard.

The final version.
I was undecided about the actual add for awhile so I drew that placeholder sketch which I ended up cleaning up and using in the final version!
My first (written) draft had all identical looking businessmen. When I storyboarded it I thought it would be boring only having one businessman design so I put together these 7 guys. I storyboarded the entire movie revolving around their individual actions. But by the end I wanted the room full of people so following individuals didn't work out.

 I just designed a bunch of similar looking business men and for each action I would just use one of those designs. Because of this the movie has terrible continuity. Certain business men sit down in one spot and then in the next angle they are somewhere else.
Lets see....anything else? If I can think of anything else I'll edit this post and add more.

As for the next projects, I have a longer comedy short that will most likely take me a few weeks. I haven't decided on it's visual style but the entire short is written and ready to be made! I've got two other shorts (one a parody and one that takes place in a business meeting) that are "week long" projects like Winter Shower and Mononoke's Deleted Scene. I also have a music video I am working on but that won't be done for quite awhile.

I also am still writing Directionless the comic. I probably won't animate another Directionless cartoon but never say never. The comic will also end this year(maybe next year depending on how long it takes to close out). I initially set off with the goal of writing Directionless until Jeff found his direction in life which I thought would take 4 to 6 years. I have written this years arc and if all goes to plan it seems he will figure out his direction! It will be exciting!

I really would like to release another movie this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment